Sunday, January 01, 2012

Just Do It!

More than an advertising slogan. The answer to procrastination. The fix for a messed up family. Just do it already. Find out what works and DO IT! The follow up? Stick with it. Easy to write. Hard to do.

I try not to make New Year resolutions. Deep down I know that I will not keep them anyway, so why bother? I think for most people? Kind of more like new year suggestions. (Kind of how some people want the 10 commandments....but that's a blog for another time)

I have some ideas in mind of things I would like to change in this new year. Ahhhh the new year. A time of reflection over the year(s) past and a hope for the year to come. However, it is so easy to get discouraged and overwhelmed when I realize some of the things I want to change are the same things I have wanted to change for years! Since I have way too many piles of paper, occasionally I run across my "to do" lists from days/weeks/years!?!?!? ago and there are things that should be on my current "to do" list....because it is STILL not done. Or I'll read through some old journal entries and realize that the things I wrote about that were not going well.....still are not going well.

I can't change time from zipping by. I can't change what other people do....or don't do. One of the only things I can work on? Is me. My reactions (or lack thereof) to things other people do.....or don't do.

It took me a LONG time to realize that done is better than perfect. Seeking perfection can keep us from finishing a project. It can actually even keep us from starting because it will never be done to the standard we set.

2012 my year of Just Do It. So when 2013 (yikes) comes, I can say I Did It! To the best of my ability and with God's help, I Did It!

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV

I pray that 2012 will find you able to accomplish your resolutions, goals, hopes, dreams....whatever you want to call them. When our paths cross another person's path, I pray that we take the time and the care to be involved. Just Do It!

No comments: